In the world of beauty and cosmetics, trends evolve at lightning speed. From the smoky eye look of the early 2000s to the recent obsession with full brows, there’s always something new to learn and try. The latest buzz in town concerns lash perming – a beauty procedure taking California by storm. Here are some top tips straight from the team at Lash Pilot, the Golden State’s beauty experts.
What is Lash Perming?
Eyelash perming is a cosmetic procedure designed to create a semi-permanent curl in natural eyelashes. The technique uses a chemical solution, similar to what is used in hair perming, to break down and then reform the bonds of the hair in a curled position.
Lash lift and lash perming are both beauty treatments that enhance the appearance of eyelashes, but they differ in their approach and results. An eyelash lift, or lash lamination, uses a chemical solution and a curved silicone form to curl the natural lashes from the root, making them appear longer and fuller. The treatment is suitable for all lash types and lasts 6 to 12 weeks, depending on the individual’s growth cycle.
On the other hand, a lash perm uses rods and a chemical solution to curl the lashes from the mid-shaft to the tip, creating a more dramatic and noticeable curl. However, it can damage the lashes if not performed correctly and is not recommended for people with naturally straight or weak lashes.
In summary, a lash lift is a more natural-looking and low-maintenance option that works well for most lash types, while a lash perm provides a more dramatic curl but requires more maintenance and may not be suitable for everyone. Choosing a licensed and trained professional to perform either treatment or a patch test
Here’s why many people opt for lash perming:
- Enhanced Eye Appearance: Curled lashes make your eyes look larger and more expressive without the use of makeup. This can enhance your natural beauty and draw more attention to your eyes. To see how this looks click here.
- Time and Effort Saving: Lash perming can eliminate the need for daily use of an eyelash curler and reduce the need for mascara, saving you time in your makeup routine.
- Long-Lasting Results: The results of a lash perm can last for several weeks, typically around six to eight weeks, which aligns with the natural growth cycle of eyelashes. This means you can enjoy curled lashes with minimal maintenance.
- Boost Confidence: For some people, having beautifully curled lashes can boost self-confidence and make them feel more polished and put together, even without makeup.
- Great for Straight Lashes: If you naturally have straight lashes that don’t hold a curl well with mascara or a mechanical curler, a lash perm can help you achieve a more pronounced and lasting curl.
How is the Lash Perming Treatment Created?
Here’s a general step-by-step guide to the lash perming process:
- Cleaning: The first step is to thoroughly clean your eyelashes and the surrounding area to remove any traces of makeup or oils. This helps the perming solution to adhere better to your lashes.
- Preparation: After your lashes are cleaned, your aesthetician will place protective pads or silicone shields on your lower lids to keep your lower lashes out of the way. Then, they’ll apply a similar protective cover on your upper lids to protect your skin from the perming solution. Using a gentle adhesive, your upper lashes are glued to the cover or a rod.
- Perming: A perming solution is carefully applied to your upper lashes once your lashes are set in the desired position. The solution softens the hair cuticle to make it pliable. It’s typically left on for about 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of your lashes and the level of curl you want to achieve.
- Neutralizing: After the perming solution has done its job, it’s removed, and a neutralizing solution is applied. This solution hardens the lashes, helping them retain their new curled shape. The neutralizer is usually left on for another 10-15 minutes.
- Cleaning: After removing the neutralizing solution, your lashes are gently cleansed to remove any residue from the perming and neutralizing solutions.
- Conditioning: A lash conditioner or oil might be applied to nourish the lashes and soothe any potential irritation.
How do I care for my new Permed Eyelashes?
Proper aftercare is essential for maintaining the curl of your lashes and ensuring the health of your eyes following a lash perm. Here are some general guidelines:
- Avoid Water and Steam: Do not wet your lashes for at least 24 hours after the treatment. This includes avoiding steam from saunas, hot showers, and even cooking. The perm solution needs time to set into your lashes fully; water or steam can disrupt this process.
- No Makeup or Oil-Based Products: Avoid applying mascara or oil-based products on or near your lashes for at least 24 hours post-treatment. These products can interfere with the setting of the perm solution.
- Do Not Rub Your Eyes: Rubbing or touching your eyes excessively can disturb the newly formed curl of your lashes. Avoid touching your lashes as much as possible for the first few days.
- Avoid Eyelash Curlers: Your lashes are already curled, so there’s no need for mechanical curlers, which can cause unnecessary stress and potential breakage to the lashes.
- Condition Your Lashes: After the initial 24 hours, consider applying a lash conditioner or a mild, non-oil-based moisturizer to keep your lashes hydrated and healthy. This is particularly important since the perming solution can be drying.
- Regular Touch-ups: Lash perms typically last around six to eight weeks. To maintain the curl, schedule touch-up appointments according to your natural lash growth cycle.
- Want to see what a lash perm looks like? Click here to see before and after photos.
How Can You 10X the Benefit of Lash Perming?
Use a lash serum. Lash serum helps natural lashes and brows grow in longer and fuller. Serums come with a variety of benefits:
- Promotes Hair Growth: The most sought-after benefit of eyelash serums is their ability to promote hair growth. They often contain ingredients like peptides, vitamins, and other nutrients that stimulate the hair follicles and promote thicker and fuller eyebrows.
- Strengthens Hair: Eyelash serums often contain ingredients like keratin and biotin that help to strengthen the hair, making it less prone to breakage and falling out.
- Nourishes and Moisturizes: Ingredients like hyaluronic acid, vitamin E, and oils found in some serums help to nourish and moisturize the hair and the skin beneath, promoting healthier and shinier lashes and brows.
- Tames and Shapes: Serums often have a gel-like consistency that helps to tame unruly lashes or brows and keep them in shape throughout the day.
- Improves Appearance: Regular use of an serum can lead to thicker, fuller, and healthier-looking eyelashes and eyebrows, which can enhance your overall appearance.
- Easy to Use: Most serums come with a brush applicator and can be easily applied in a matter of seconds.
Remember, results can vary from person to person, and it often takes several weeks of consistent use to see significant changes. It’s also always a good idea to do a patch test first to make sure you don’t have any allergic reactions to the ingredients in the serum.
Every individual may have different sensitivities or reactions to lash perming treatment. Always follow any pre-procedure and aftercare instructions your aesthetician gives to maintain the health and curl of your lashes. It’s always a good idea to have a conversation with your beauty professional before and after the procedure to clarify any doubts or questions regarding the process or aftercare. Also, it’s important to note that this process involves chemicals being used close to your eyes, so it’s crucial to choose a licensed and experienced professional to perform the procedure.
Visit our Santa Monica or Newport Beach location for the best and most natural eye perming. Book online now at our website.